Wednesday 20 January 2010

Find of the week (1)

I've started my new job as Information Services Librarian for a small Scottish local authority. The job has several areas of responsibility one of which is the local studies enquires and the local collection for the area,the past few weeks have been at times overwhelming when I realise the array of information that is stored within the devision. I thought of the 'find of the week' as a way of displaying weekly the little gems that I find whilst perusing the shelves for query answers.
The first find of the week was found whilst I was replying to an enquiry on the 72nd Highlanders being in the area. I looked over to my left and saw lying on the shelf a little leather bound book that looked mottled by damp, I picked it up to realise it was a scout diary from 1932. From the evidence in the book the lad was about 16, sitting his highers and attendning the local scouts group, he had also included some football scores from the era on local teams. 
Near the back of the diary they had to enter dates for nature events throughout the year such as first blackbird, open flower etc The gem of this diary or the find of the week was reading the handwriten sentence at the bottom of the nature page;
Event: seen a woman .........Date: every night of the week


Good to see in 1932 boys were still only interested in 2 things women and football!

No comments:

Post a Comment