Monday 15 February 2010

Due dates - lie

I'm now starting to think that every midwife lies when it comes to due dates.I've spent the weekend with my phone glued to my hand just incase I get the call. I even remembered to pack the phone charger for our weekend trip to Inverness, checking the phone was set to pick up email and facebook notifications, just incase my brother-in-law or mother couldn't contact me by phone.

I'm going to hazard a guess that maybe my new niece or nephew just doesn't want to leave the lovely, warm cocoon that it is my sisters womb. It might be a little psychic devil that knows my sister is craving the taste of pate or it's aware that granny is about to up the blood pressure tablets, awaiting its arrival.

I'm nervously awaiting the birth of my first blood related niece or nephew, I already have a lovely niece and nephew thanks to my sister and brother-in-law but somehow this is different, its my little sister giving birth. I've helped build nursery furniture (quicker than my power tooled b-i-l), spent a small fortune on baby clothes and watched my mother knit more clothing than Edinburgh Woolen Mill produces in a year. My sisters in her thirties so I start to worry about how she'll cope during the birth, I wonder if junior will be fighting fit when she/he arrives and that my sister doesn't have any complications during or after the birth.  I'm sure these are the ramblings of many an auntie to be/ older sister.

I'm also jealous of my sister, she'll be bringing into this world a little person, something I'll never do, part by choice and part biology. My sister will be giving my parents the one thing I can't/won't be able to do, I suppose it is 2010, I coud if I really wanted to, science and lakeland plastics permitting. However as much as I love kids, l gladly hand them back after a few hours of auntie time.

I'll keep waiting for the phone to ring and I'm sure when it does, I'll have a tear in my eye and a smile on my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment