Wednesday 3 March 2010

Let there be change...

I left work on Friday for Belfast and returned today to find some improvements to the basement workspace. I  knew the changes were happening, so it was fantastic to come back to new lighting and ceiling paint. I'd liken the basement before the change to being a bit of a warren. A lovely, warm, cosy place. Every time I look up or turn around I am surrounded on all sides by books, photographs and archives. However the lighting was about 30 years old and the paint on the walls over 50 years old, time for change. The new lighting and ceiling paint have changed the ambience of the basement, it is brighter but more clinical in appearance. I'm worried about a couple of the book collections in the basement area. I may have to move them into the archive room annex as the light is now too strong.
I also need to have a look at temperature controls within the main archive room. During the winter I believe the room temperature has been colder than recommended conditions and archive materials appear damp. At present we have no archivist within the department, so I need to find a solution to the problem asap . Being in the basement of a 100 year old scottish library doesn't make archive storage simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment